Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

Hot as Hell, High like Heaven.

Okay, I know. What's with the title? Well I don't know! I tried to think of something catchy, because, while "Theology about Heaven and Hell" is straight to the point, such a title isn't all that inviting. And I want many people to read these posts. I've notice some things lately, especially after a conversation a few weeks back with a close friend. Many people are confused about the very basics about Heaven and Hell. I mean, REALLY confused. I am not surprised if some people think Heaven is a big boring church service, and hell is where the party is at. In fact, I have even heard some church goers say things like this. Or they imagine fluffy clouds with harps, or imps with pitchforks. And this diluting of the images of both Hell and Heaven have caused some major problems.

What type of problems??

Here is one example:

With the death of Bin Laden came a lot of Christians saying things like "good riddance, burn in Hell" Or "enjoy Hell, you scumbag' or Mike Huckabee, former minister saying in a very casual way "Welcome to Hell!". This upset me quite a lot, because it made me realize how little people really know about Hell. I barely know much of what there is to know, but I know enough that I NEVER will wish Hell upon anyone. But many Christians, against the wishes of scriptures, do, and have, and will continue.

So my goal is this: To use scripture to paint as clear a picture of both Hell and Heaven, as possible. I will limit my own guesses and speculations as much as possible. This is a topic of most importance, with no room for errors.

So, as I compile my though I want you to get your own images of heaven and hell in your mind. Ask yourself why you believe them this way. Write it all down. And then in a few days we will begin with the first lesson, which will focus on Hell.

Blessings,
Thomas

1 comment:

  1. Thomas I will indeed be getting my thoughts together. Something that I find very distressing on this subject is that most people get there entire view of hell from literature such as Dante's Inferno while he does paint a hellish picture it is by no means a wholly biblical picture, and I believe it is mostly a satire on the catholic church. On the subject of Bin Laden the old me before I was filled with the Holy Spirit would have been right along with the rejoicing. Don't get me wrong I am in no way saying he wasn't deserving I do acknowledge that it is not mine to judge. As you know I am a fairly conservative guy but since I was first filled with the spirit I have begun to question how I feel about war and capital punishment. I will say that as I was scanning the web last night on news about Bin Laden's death I did feel a sadness for my fellow Christians who were so "excited" at the concept of him being in Hell. I believe I'm rambling so I will stop but I will say this the worst thin about hell would have to be that God is not there.

    ReplyDelete