Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Name and Tree

'What's in a name?' the oft asked question goes,
But for me, a name is meaningless.

I have removed the very mention of your name from mind
My heart
My very being.

It was a name I could repeat with ease
A name that made the heart skip and the butterflies flutter
It was a name I hoped to have beside mine,
'Until death do us part'.

But that time has come and gone.
As it was written:
'The wind blows, and we are gone— 
 as though we had never been here.'

And you are gone.
Your name is gone off my tongue.

Yet, a promise remains in my heart.

Young lovers make many an empty promise;
'I'll love you forever', 
'I'll never leave you', 
'You're the only one for me'.

We made many more.
Those, like your name, have passed from my mind.
Our love ran dry, long ago.

 But this one thing remains:
A promise made on the loneliest of roads, in the loneliest of times,
Yet life was content, with you at my side.

We drove, no cares in the world
Flipping through the radio stations,
Singing those silly songs.

Cracking the windows, you let the summer breeze flow
Your hair blowing in the wind,
Blue sweet summer sky sparkled in your eyes

You took my hand in yours
Soft, caressing, gentle

'Baby' you spoke softly 'pull over here'.

In the shade of a tree, we stopped.
And in the shade of a tree,we made a lasting connection

'When you pass this tree, in person or in thought' you said,
gesturing to the lonely tree in a sea of nothingness

'Remember me. Think of me. Pray for me'

I nodded with a smile.
'What a silly request' I thought, however, to myself.

'Baby, I'd do anything for you.' I assured you.

The latter faded, but the former stayed,
I cannot explain why.

I doubt I'll travel that lonely country highway in person again
But in my mind, my heart, my memories,
 I travel it often.

I traveled it today.

And I thought of you.
I remembered your face for a quick moment
And I prayed to God above, for you.

I never uttered your name,
 But I kept my promise.

And as your name further fades from my mind,
I'll still be reminded of you.
 I'll still pray for you,
Where ever you may be.

Your face will turn to a blur,
Your voice will be forgotten,
I will never, ever love you again

But I will keep this promise,
'til my breath and soul escape my body.

  What is in a name? This, I do not know.
Perhaps we should consider 'What is in a promise, under a tree?'

And perhaps we'll never know, this side of paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment