Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Gratitude

Thank God for church. Seriously.

This past Sunday, I was seriously convicted by my pastor. Which is a good thing. It means he is earning his paycheck. ;-)

When we pray, we usually ask, with the hope to receive.  And there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for things. Yet, when we do receive, how often do we give back thanks? How often do we live a life of gratitude towards God for all the things He has done? And how often do we miss out on other works of God, because we don't acknowledge what He has done before?

I look at my life and consider where I have been in the past up until this point. In my life, I have seen poverty and comfort. There have been times of famine, and times of feasting. I have seen my parents go without, and I have seen them enjoy some of the nicer things. My life has literally been a wild ride.

There have been times where I have complained incessantly, and pretty vocally. Why can't I have this? Why can't I be like that? Why can't I experience that love? Why am I so much behind other people at this point in life?

Yet, I look and I don't see a similar pattern of gratitude. Where is my constant stream of thanksgiving for all the God has done for me? Where is vocal outpouring of praise and adoration?

That is something I want to change!  I want to always be grateful for the life that I have. When things are great, I must praise. When things are tough, I must praise. Regardless of the season in my life, I want to thank God for everything in my life.

And I want to begin that right now.

So, thank you God for all that I have, for even those things that I have wished for but will never have. Thank you for always taking care of me. I know there are many needs in the world.  For some reason, I have experienced things that other people may never attain. This is a sobering reality to me. There is nothing special about me, deserving such mercies. I am no one. I have nothing to offer. Yet, I have tasted blessings. I thank you for that, Lord. And I pray that this truth remains in my life, so that I never forget those who are without. Let your blessings flow freely from my life, into theirs.

Thank you so much for everything, again. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment