Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sinful Lifestyles.

I admit the fact that I don't shy away from controversy. There is just something in me that thrives on speaking on those topics which normally make people cringe or even get put on fire. I am forewarning that this is one of those topics. In this topic I am going to call out a lot of people. Now, this is not for the sake of calling people out. You see, I have noticed this lack of consistency among evangelical Americans. I always hear about how terrible it is that so many people live a homosexual lifestyle. This has come back into the vocabulary with last week's decision to allow same-sex marriages in New York. I've heard all about how so and so pastor is declaring that God will destroy America for allowing the homosexual lifestyle to go on.

BUT, I have also began to notice something; a lot of these people who are out there yelling about gays being evil living a sinful lifestyle, are themselves living sinful lifestyles. How many times have you seen one of these people yelling about this and that, and you look and realize they are way overweight? Now, I am not poking fun at anyone! God forbid me to do that, when I have a few pounds to lose myself. However, I am all for consistency. Scripture says that we should avoid gluttony. Proverbs 23:20 and 21 says this:

Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags


Just a few verses before that:

Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.


Now, we know that people become overweight for a few reasons. One of them is a poor diet, such as overeating(gluttony). Of course, there is also the lack of exercise(sloth), that also plays part in this. It really is a lifestyle choice, being overweight. I mean, you can say no to that extra helping right? You can get up early and go to the gym? You can change yourself, right?

It is quite upsetting to me to see so many brothers and sisters hollering about sinful lives, yet the church has made a sinful lifestyle a staple of church services! How many times have you been to a "fellowship dinner" and seen people just eat and eat and eat. All the men have big bellies, and just go to make them bigger. And these men are leaders in the churches. How can they lead a church, if they cannot control their tummies? ( I am sure that is scripture! I just can't find it, at the moment). If they cannot remove their own plank, how are they supposed to ask a gay man or lesbian woman to remove the speck from his or her eye?

But this isn't just about overweight people(I'm serious, I am not against them!). Let's look at other sinful lifestyle that are common in the church:

*Gossip. This one is outright forbidden, especially for the wife of a leader (1 Timothy 3:11). Yet gossip is one of the top things I hear among Christian circles. The other night I had to leave a conversation on Skype because some of my Christian friends began to talk about another Christian on a forum. This is common. This is not acceptable. This is a sinful lifestyle.

*Failure to Pray and read the Word. Scripture says we are to always pray(now, that's not meaning like every second of the day, but to do it as often as possible). Most Christians do good to spend two minutes in prayer a day. I am confident that this is a sin because it is a failure to do what God tells us to do (pray), and it shows our true devotion to Him. If a person can spend 5 hours on the internet, playing a game, going out to see a 2 hour movie, going out to spend hours dancing in a club/bar, etc, then can't that same person spend a few moments in honest, humbled, devoted prayer to God? I would imagine that should be the case. The same can be said of reading scripture. We manage to make excuses about why we can't read the Word(I'm too busy, except when I am on Xbox Live, or texting my friends all night long), but yet we have ample time to do anything else out heart desires. I say with certainty that failing to come in contact with God on a regular basis is indeed a sinful lifestyle.

Now, I can go on and on with other examples, such as pride, being too lavish(which can fit in with pride), not attending a church, etc. However, I think with just the few examples I gave, I hit most American Christians. The point, again, is not to call people out for the sake of being a jerk. Instead, it is a call to get serious.

I am not saying we cannot call sin out. However, I believe firmly Jesus gave the teaching about the plank in one's eye for a reason. How can we, who claim to be redeemed and different from the world, show the change that Christ brings, if we live exactly like the world. If a Christian truly believes a person is sinning, he or she should obviously try to correct them. But how can you correct a person if you live in the wrong? If I cannot properly do mathematics, can I be a teacher of mathematics, correcting students when they are wrong? Surely not!

I think it is time we pull a Nehemiah. There is a lot of junk in our churches. And by junk, I mean sin. And I don't mean "those" churches down the road. I mean the church you and I sit in every Sunday (or SHOULD be sitting in). Nehemiah, when he came from captivity to rebuild the wall, also went into the Temple to clean out the idols in there. Idolatry was the sin that caused God to pour His wrath on the Jews in the form of captivity. We are being held captive in our own Church, by the sin we continue to let go on. Once more I ask: How can we tell the world to repent and leave their sins behind, when we have all these idols stored up in the temple, living JUST LIKE THE WORLD?

This is a call, not to be silent, allowing the world to slip by. RATHER, this is a call for the body to purify itself, that it may go into the world with boldness, authority, and the Grace of God. As it is now, we are laughed at, mocked, and ignored, not for the sake of the Gospel, but because we, ourselves, are failing to understand what the Gospel truly means for US. Is it not a lifestyle changing power? Then let our planks removed.

God I pray you will remove the planks from my eyes, that I may see your truth and show that truth to a world that is dying. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment