Search This Blog

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Something New.

I think I have too grand of plans at times. When I started this blog I wanted to get into the pressing issues of Christian faith. I wanted to explore the complexities of theology, and fashion myself after the great thinkers. However, I get burnt out on the heavy thinking, to be quite honest. I think most people do. I am not saying it is bad, that I will stop, or anything of this sort. I am simply saying I am going to switch things up a bit, every now and then, and return to more simple posts. I think this will help keep me writing on a more consistent basis. I know that there were several weeks in between me saying "I will do blog posts on Heaven and Hell" and actually doing the one blog post on Hell. I am not sure Heaven is going to follow anytime soon. It isn't because I don't dislike Heaven, or think it is an important issue to discuss; I do. However, I believe there are other issues which people deal with on a daily basis, and they need to be addressed. For example, I have been thinking about how to address the typical Evangelical church is very inconsistent in thought about sin. Or how do Christians handle politics and government? What about the Spiritual disciplines? These are all things which shape our world view, and need to be addressed.

SO, I will still have theological discussions (things like hermeneutics, soteriology, eschatology, etc). However, I will add in simply devotionals and talks about everyday topics.

I will start with this, a mini devotional.

Grace and Mercy

I admit it. I struggle with the two most basic concepts of Christ and Christianity: Grace and mercy. It isn't that I doubt God is gracious and merciful. Nor is it that I wrestle with the idea that God is Good and loves man and desire to see man be redeemed, through His grace and mercy. The reason I struggle with these concepts is because I know how unworthy I am. I feel like part of me is Jonah, and the other part is Nineveh. Jonah saw the sins of Nineveh and saw they were evil. God desired for the city to be redeemed, but Jonah couldn't see past the sin. He limited God to just a god who brings destruction and justice to evil. God indeed does this, yet it is only part of who He is. Jonah, and this part of me inside, both fail to see God in the full picture. Not only is He the judge who brings justice, but he is the redeemer who cancels the punishment for those who repent.

Imagine it like this: A man is driving well over the speed limit and is caught by the cops. He is put before the judge, who has the power to get him real bad for his transgression. The man, sorrowful for his crimes, reveals how sorry he is for the crime. The judge, instead of punishing, acknowledges the man is guilty of the crime but says his crimes are forgiven. Not only are they forgiven, but the judge will take the man out for dinner! The crime is completely forgiven, and the judge gives something wonderful to the criminal!

This is what Christ has done for us. He didn't just say "Thomas, you crimes against me are forgiven", but rather, said "Thomas, your crimes against me are forgiven, and here are all the riches of Heaven that I alone have the authority to give away".

Apostle Peter said this:
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.


Think about what this means. We are not simply 'saved' from a bad thing, but are given good- no, the BEST- things from God above. Who can say they deserve it? Can the liar, whose lies have distorted reality and hurt people? Can the thief, whose envy has lead him to take from others? Can the adulterer, whose lust and sexual depravity has divorced them from their God-give spouse? No, NONE, for "none are righteous, no not one".

This is why I struggle! I know the depths of my heart, and the darkness that has filled it! I know the sin I commit, even if it remains hidden. I know that sin has separated from God in the beginning. That should have been the end. BUT, (and a MAJOR but it is), God took my punishment...OUR PUNISHMENT... and when He rose from suffering our punishment, He rose to Heaven and now blesses us with all the treasures of above, not only to know now, but to know forever! These are not simply treasures like gold or silver, women or men, or whatever. But the greatest treasure is the full communion and fellowship with God. How can any gift be greater? Even more, how can I say that I deserve that gift?! How can I say I deserve the gift of God himself?!? And this is why I, a fallen man who has sinned and deserves death, struggle. I know I am not worthy. I know I deserve only my punishment. Yet, God is so good, and has given hope.

This is my challenge for my friends. Since you know the gift you have is a gift, something you can NEVER earn, but is given by God's grace and mercy, I want YOU to show this same thing to someone else. Take something which you find precious and give it to someone who doesn't deserve it. Go to a person who has hurt you and hug them in love. Go to a homeless man and give him money/food/time/etc. Go to a prisoner and give them time and forgiveness that they don't deserve. Go to anyone, anywhere, anytime and impart some gift to them. Let them know you are simply doing what God has done for you. Share the love. Share the hope!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment