Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A dog chasing his tail.

I love dogs. I especially love how silly they can be. I've seen many dogs who will do the craziest of things. My favorite, however, is watching a dog chase its own tail! They catch something moving back and forth rapidly, in the corner of their eyes and BAM! Their head snaps back and soon the rest of the body follows, going round and round and round. Sometimes the dog might capture a slight snap of the tail, only to have it shake away from its mouth. Other times it may catch it and begin to nibble, only to realize that the tail is a part of itself; A very disappointing catch. The rest of the time, the dog might just get bored and dizzy, after running around foolishly.

We can sit back and laugh at the dog, seeing it being so silly. However, aren't we the same way? I feel like I see so many people who are busy chasing things which they believe are important, but it ends up only being a silly game with nothing being achieved. And I have no room to speak out against others doing it, because, if I am honest, I do the same exact thing. I see something so alluring out of the corner of my eye, and I MUST have it. So I run around chasing it, as much as I can. I might get a little taste of it, but in reality, its just my silly ol' mind playing games. I am just chasing the hallucinations of a fallen heart. I am a fool, running around in circles, being very dizzy and not gaining anything. I am simply a dog, chasing his tail.

I want nothing more than to be the opposite. I try so hard to focus on Christ. I want to be only for him, all 100% of me. My prayer is thus:

Lord, I am tired of running after the foolish desires of my heart. No person, item, accomplishment, or status will ever fulfill me. I know true fulfillment is in you alone. I know that my eyes are to be focused upon your throne. But God I am so hungry for something, anything. I want to feel alive inside. I want to have purpose again. I want to quit hiding behind a mask of happiness on the outside. Please just pour yourself out over me, and allow me to taste of you again. Don't let me be fooled by imitations, for nothing can be like you. I am stumbling, but I still know that I must praise you, whether or not you grant this prayer. You alone are worthy. Praise to you God.

Amen.


I pray that if anyone else reads this, they too would realize the foolishness in chasing the things that are other than the Glory of Christ, and the Will of the Father.

Blessings and Grace,

(A slightly confused and exhausted) Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment