Search This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Música, sólo música

I was reading through an old book that I had from one of my Spanish classes in University. The book is titled The Generation of 1898 and after. It has select works from the authors and poets between the period of the fall of a once glorious imperial Spain in 1898 to the Spanish Civil War, in 1936. A lot of the writings in the book detail the feelings of Spaniards during that time, about the decline of Spain. Many of the writings are political and very emotional. There is one, however, that sort of stands out, and I will post it for your enjoyment. It is by a man known as Jorge Guillen.

This is called Música, sólo música

Por los violines
Ascienden promesas.
Me raptan? Se entregan.
Todo va a cumplirse

Implacable empeño
de metal y cuerda:
un mundo se crea
donde nunca hay muertos

hermoso destino
se ajusta a su temple.
todo está cumpliéndose,
pleno en el sonido.

se desliza un mundo
triunfante y su gracia
de forma a mi alma
llego a un absoluto?

Invade el espíritu,
las glorias se habitan.
Inmortal en vida:
todo está cumplido



And for a not so accurate translation:

By the violins
they elevate promises.
Do they abduct me? They deliver.
All is going to comply.

Implacable pledge
of metal and cord:
a world is created
where there is no death

Beautiful destiny
is adjusted to its temper
All is being complied,
full in sound

It slides a world
triumphant, and its graces
forms to my soul.
Do I arrive at an absolute?

It invades the Spirit,
the Glories are inhabited.
Immortal in life:
all is polite.

Make of that what you will.I've always had a love for music, though I've never been able to play, read or write it. Music is a beautiful escape from the realities of life. There are, indeed, worlds created, where no death exists. I can think of pieces of music that I hear, and entire universes explode into my mind, captivating my imagination, and even my soul. Every note is another living, breathing creature. Or perhaps a mountain rising out of the void of the sea. Or maybe its the love felt between two young lovers, gazing into each others' eyes. Music is this, and much more.

When I worship the Lord with music, at home alone, I often end up finding myself on the floor, face down, completely lost in the glories of God, as the music carries my soul into the presence of God. Or perhaps the music simply allows God to step down into my room with me? Either way, I get completely lost, as space and time ceases. Fears and regrets, sorrows and anger, life and death; all fade when music carries my heart away.

I end with this: “Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul.”

Blessings,
Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment